Mastering Airbnb - Learn from SF’s top host, 100+ lectures
I once made $7,579 while vacationing in Bali. How did I make that much?
By doing nothing.
All I had to do was rent my apartment out on Airbnb and leave for the month. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's true. I got paid $260 / day to simply not be in my apartment.
Have you heard of Airbnb?
I bet that by now you've heard of Airbnb. If you don't use it, chances are someone you know does. Airbnb lets you rent out your spare room or entire space for money, and the company has been growing like wildfire. Airbnb now has over 350,000 hosts, who are just ordinary people, renting their spaces in over 192 countries. They have booked over 10 million rental nights in homes, apartments, rooms, and spaces just like yours.
You know what the best part is? A private room on Airbnb rents for an average of $120 / night. You could make that by renting out a spare room - or 3x that for your whole space. I have personally made over $60,000 renting out my space on Airbnb. On average I spent about 4~ hours per week handling guests, maintaining the space, and everything else involved. On a typical month I would make $4,000 - $5,000. If I was traveling I would make between $7,000 - $10,000 a month.
Is this abnormal? Not at all. I have helped several of my friends list their places on Airbnb and they all make a minimum of $2,000 / month. Thousands of hosts on Airbnb make well over $100,000 a year from their rental income and with only one property.
When I first started hosting on Airbnb, I thought, "What the heck, its worth a shot." I had just moved to San Francisco and signed a big one-year lease for an apartment that was $3,000 a month. Not to mention being self employed with a business that ebbs and flows. What if I hit a bad month and couldn't make rent? A terrible feeling that most of us have probably had.
The first month I started Airbnb, I made $4,963. That blew my expectations away. It covered my rent, utilities, cleanings, and I pocketed an extra $1,500. Airbnb saved me like it's saved so many others.
Just so you know, the spaces on Airbnb are not hotel quality spaces. They're spare rooms, apartments, and homes that everyday, ordinary people live in. Spare bedrooms, living rooms, empty condos, spare family homes, and any other dwelling you can think of.
Do you have extra space where you're living? Do you ever leave for the weekend or go home for the holidays? Can you crash at a significant other's for the weekend? If you're like me, or really anyone else, I'm sure you can think of a time where you've had unused space. You could be missing out on a significant amount of money. Money that could make a big difference in your life.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Turn your spare room into a rental income of up to $250 / night
- Turn your entire place into a rental income of up to $600 / night
- Correctly price their listing in a way that can get bookings even without reviews
- Scope out their competition and identify their listing's market potential
- Identify areas and amenities that can be added to dramatically increase the value of their listing
- How to take Airbnb quality photos without a professional photo team
- Pick the thumbnail that creates the most interest and views of their property
- How to use everyday free software to enhance their listing photos
- How to get featured by Airbnb
- Write listing descriptions that grab bookings
- Write the perfect title for their space and get attention
- How to show up on the first page of Airbnb search
- Qualify their space and determine the potential income from renting it
- How to correctly set cleaning fees and minimum night restrictions
- Find the right long term cleaning arrangement
- Use house rules and extra people fees to their advantage
- How to maximize income with other sources like VRBO, Roomorama
- Travel abroad without internet connection and have their Airbnb run itself
- Prevent burnout by choosing and limiting guest interaction
- Learn fun and cheap ways of guaranteeing 5 star reviews
- Save $100s of dollars a year on towels & linens
- Identify the moving parts of their listing and reduce incident rates by 80%
- Integrate useful free Airbnb tools for extra help and automation
- Correctly use your host review and prevent 90% of bad reviews before they even happen
- Learn how to manage your property while you're away and remove the maintanence
- Use the "augmentable amenities" strategy to grab bookings you otherwise would lose
- Manage their homesharing taxes and comply with the 2015 IRS guidelines
- Immediately apply changes to their listing and see the results overnight
- Learn how to meet great people and have fun with your guests
Who should take this course?
- Anyone interested in the sharing economy.
- Anyone who travels out of town frequently or even occasionally.
- Anyone who wants an out-of-the-box way to fund their lifestyle, freelance career, or business venture.
- Anyone who has an extra room in their apartment / home.
- This course is not limited to students from big cities: Airbnb is all over the world in cities as small as 20,000 people.
- Anyone not willing to put a couple hours of work into putting their listing up is not encouraged to take this course.
Some common questions:
Can anyone do this?
Yes, absolutely anyone can do this. Airbnb is in 192 countries and even in cities with fewer than 10,000 people. With my course I'll show you exactly how you can be successful in any environment.
What if my space isn't nice?
Every space has a price and if you follow my steps you can maximize that price. If you're not happy with the price you get, follow my advice and you can easily get more and more per night.
What if I don't own my space, I just rent it?
Even if you don't own your space, even if you don't think you have room, even if you think your city is too small, you can rent out your space.
Airbnb was a life changer for me and I want it to be the same for you. I've studied the Airbnb market, have hosted over 200 guests, and collaborated with five other rockstar hosts to bring this course together. In this course you'll get everything you need to skip the painful learning process and start maximizing your profit quickly.
About the instructor
Hi, I'm Evan Kimbrell. Thanks for checking out my course.
Currently, I'm the Founder, Director of Sprintkick, a referral based full service digital agency based out of San Francisco. Over the last 4 years, I've overseen the development and launch of over 100 web and mobile apps. Clients range from 1-2 man team startups bootstrapping their initial idea, to multibillion dollar Fortune 100s like Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, & GNC.
Previous to Sprintkick, I worked as a VC for a brand new firm called Juvo Capital, based out of L.A. I spearheaded the firms expansion into Silicon Valley deal flow and into Consumer Web tech category.
Previous to working for Juvo, in the long long ago, I was a co-founder for a educational software startup called ScholarPRO that raised a ton of money and then spectacularly blew up (in the bad way). Before it exploded like the Death Star, I went through 5 tech incubators (yes 5) with Tech Stars, Excelerate Labs, MassChallenge, Babson Venture Program, and Sparkseed.
I'm an avid AirBNB host for the Fishermans Wharf district of San Francisco. My space has the #1 search ranking for my area, has hosted over 200+ people, and is currently booking out 18 months in advance :) Over the last year I've helped multiple other hosts get their properties listed and maximize their price per night. Results range from an extra +50% in price for established hosts, and +400% for brand new hosts.
Hope you enjoy my courses!